March 29 2023
One of South Australia’s oldest cultural heritage sites, which was attacked by vandals six months ago, will soon be protected by a state-of-the-art security system.
Ancient rock art at Koonalda Cave was destroyed after persons unknown broke through barbed wire fencing to get into the site in late December.
Now, the federal government has announced a $400,000 grant to protect the site in the future in partnership with local Aboriginal people and the SA government.
The funding will be used for conservation management at the site, including the installation of the security system and better fencing.
“It was devastating to hear about the vandalism that occurred late last year,” federal Environment Minister Tanya Plibersek said on Wednesday.
SA Minister for Aboriginal Affairs Kyam Maher said it was crucial that such sites are protected.
Individuals convicted of breaching SA’s Aboriginal heritage protection laws face up to six months in prison or a $10,000 fine.